Square Labelled Maidstone Violin

Most Maidstone violins have an oval label depicting two girls dancing. Murdoch, who imported most of his Maidstone violins from the Saxony area of Germany in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, later involved his son in the company. Hence the later models were labelled "Murdoch and Murdoch and Co. 

There are the typical oval labels bearing the simple name Murdoch and Co and later ones as "Murdoch and Murdoch and Co. As far as I know, all the square ones simply say Murdoch and Co just like the one in the picture below.

Some experts claim the square labeled violins are best. Rumours exist that some Maidstone violins were made in what was then named Czecho-Slovakia (Bohemia) and even France. Moreover, that not all Murdoch violins were Maidstone's.

I own another square labelled Maidstone violin that I repaired. I must say it beats into the ground all my oval labelled Maidstone's - using the same strings ( Thomas Infeld Vienna, Alphayou - synthetic core strings). Here that one is, professionally assessed, and being played (here). 

I am, therefore, looking forward to seeing how my newly acquired second square labelled Maidstone compares. 

As with my other square labelled Maidstone violin, I have used traditional genuine parchment sutures to reinforce the hide-glued repaired cracks on the table of the violin. These are extremely tough, acoustic and flexible, whilst being least likely (in my opinion) to interfere adversely with the sound of the instrument.

As with every full size Maidstone I own the violin has a carved-in bass bar, is fully lined but is not blocked in any of the corners. Similarly, the top is arguably rather roughly carved.  















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Romanian Violin: MUSIKINSTRUMENTENFABRIK, REGHIN

Rank Amateur Fixing of a Cracked Mirecourt Violin

A full size, beaver tooth carved, Czecho-Slovakia (Bohemia) Violin Made around 1919-1945

Total Pageviews